MANILA, Philippines – Barangay officials of Manila are seemingly mocking a Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) show cause order as a large majority of them remain adamant at complying the agency’s road clearing operations directive.
DILG Undersecretary on Barangay Affairs Martin Diño said only two (2) out of the 99 barangay officials of Manila have so far complied with the DILG’s show cause order which urges them to update the agency and explain if ever the said directive has not been followed.
At the same media forum in Sampaloc, Manila, Sunday, 27 October 2019, Diño pointed out the DILG has since given it up to Manila Mayor Isko Moreno to distribute and follow through on the rest of the SCOs.
An SCO is an action requiring a certain party to appear and explain why a particular course of action should not be taken against it.
If the party cannot convince the agency or fails to appear, that course of action is taken.
Meanwhile, the DILG official said the agency found out three barangays in Manila with offices closed which is in grave violation on the local government code.
Barangay halls Diño said are supposed to be open 24/7 in accordance with its mandate to serve the public around the clock.
Diño refused to name the three Manila barangays but he said barangay captains of which can expect summons from the City Council or the Office of the Ombudsman for them to explain regarding office unavailability.
In cooperation with some members of the working media, Diño also announced that the DILG is coming up with a seminar on journalism, documentation, and proper reporting system for barangays. (BCuaresma/IAMIGO/CNS)