House approves bill allowing farmers use of P6.97B rice subsidy fund

on

MANILA, Philippines — The House of Representatives has approved on Tuesday (12 November 2019) a resolution allowing local farmers to use the remaining P6.97 billion rice subsidy funds to buy palay (unhusked grain).

Lawmakers have stamped their approval on House Joint Resolution 22 authorizing the use of government funds from the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) to buy palay, which will then be distributed to beneficiaries.

It was learned that 206 of nearly 300 members of the House approved the resolution.

The national government can help local farmers, through this scheme, recover from the adverse effects of the Rice Tariff Law, which has reduced prices to a record low of P7 per kilo.

For each farmer, the P5,000 financial aid will accordingly come from billions in revenue from higher tariffs under the Republic Act 11203 or the Rice Tariff Law.

Meanwhile, a party-list group 1-Pacman Congressman Mikee Romero, said that apart from cash subsidies, rice farmers “will also be provided other forms of assistance such as free seeds and farm implements to reduce their production costs and increase their yield.”

He recalled that agricultural officials led by Undersecretary Ariel Cayanan told congressmen two months ago that a total of P5 billion had already been released from the RCEF by the Department of Budget and Management.

According to the officials, the P2 billion was given to the Philippine Rice Research Institute and another P2 billion to the Philippine Center for Postharvest Development and Mechanization for the production or procurement of seeds and farm machinery.

“The seeds and tools should be available by now, if not soon, so farmers could use them for the next planting season,” Romero said.

Romero said that the remaining P1 billion was released to government banks for lending to farmers “so they would not go to loan sharks for production money.” (Cate Pallarco/IAMIGO/CNS)


Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Cate Pallarcohttp://www.currentph.com
Cate Pallarco is a member of Battlefield, the social media team of Saga Impact Asia. She is a Content Producer for Currentph.com and Sagaimpact.com. You can reach her at cate.pallarco@currentph.com

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

MUST READ

Is Sara Gaining Ground?

Note: This is a column article of BenCyrus G. Ellorin at SOUTHERN PERSPECTIVE CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY/ May 19, 2026 --The March 2026 OCTA survey...

LGU Subic, Nagdeklara ng Water Emergency; Posibleng Takeover sa...

SUBIC, Zambales — Nagdeklara ng State of Water Emergency ang lokal na pamahalaan ng Subic dahil sa patuloy na problema sa suplay ng tubig...

PNP submits Senate shooting probe to DOJ; investigators reject...

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has formally submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ) the results of its investigation into the controversial gunfire incident...

Committee on Ways and Means (May 18, 2026) –...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFDU7U15nsAgenda: SBN 61 – Amending the National Internal Revenue Code (NIRC) (Exempting Electricity Sales from Value-Added Tax) (By: Sen. Marcoleta) SBN 266 - Price of...

Dialogue with China Is Essential: Trump-Xi Summit Proved It

Repeated remarks from within the Philippine defense and military establishments declaring that China cannot be trusted in talks apparently reflect a very deep frustration...

Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading