Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso has authorized barangay chairpersons to declare lockdown in their respective areas subject to certain conditions.
Under Executive Order No. 12 signed by Domagoso on Wednesday, barangay officials could declare lockdown in their respective areas of authority given that the number of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) active cases are 10 or more.
“Within three hours from its issuance, the Order placing the barangay, or portion thereof, under Critical Zone Containment shall be forwarded to the City Mayor for his confirmation,” the order stated.
“The Punong Barangay shall give a two-day prior notice to his constituents and businesses/other stakeholders operating in the barangay,” the order added.
The Manila Health Department shall likewise verify the existence of Covid-19 active cases before the barangay could start its lockdown.
All residents under the barangays to be placed under lockdown shall be strictly confined to their residences and are prohibited from going outside their homes, Domagoso said.
The order meanwhile exempts the following:
- Health workers
- Military personnel
- Service workers (pharmacies, drug stores, and funeral homes)
- Utility workers (energy, cable, internet, telecommunication companies, water, sanitation, and critical transport facilities including port operation)
- Essential workers (goods delivery, food delivery, banking and money services)
- Barangay officials (Chairpersons, Barangay Secretary, Barangay Treasurers, Kagawads, and Executive Officers)
- Media practitioners accredited by the Presidential Communications Operations Office and the Inter-Agency Task Force
“Station Commanders of Police Stations covering the said barangays are hereby directed to employ and deploy officers and personnel in strategic locations and areas necessary for the effective implementation of the ECQ,” the executive order said.