The Department of Health (DOH) reported 264 new coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases on Tuesday, as the government announced relaxed quarantine measures in various parts of the country.
The DOH said that of the new cases, 165 or 63 percent are from the National Capital Region, which, beginning May 16 will be under the modified enhanced community quarantine.
DOH said 74 cases or 28 percent of the new cases are from Region 7 or Central Visayas and 25 or 9 percent are from other regions.
This brings the total number of cases in the Philippines to 11,350.
There were 25 new COVID-related deaths of a total of 751 fatalities.
The DOH bulletin also recorded 107 new recovered patients or a total of 2,106 recoveries.
Earlier in the day, President Rodrigo Duterte said Philippines could not afford another wave of coronavirus infections, as he prepared the public for the looming easing of restrictions.
Duterte, in a taped public address aired Tuesday, urged the public to wear face masks and practice physical distancing as part of the new norm.
“The easing up of the restrictions, hindi iyan sabihin na wala na ang COVID, just because we allow certain people [outside],” he said.
“We cannot afford a second or third wave na mangyari. Ito ‘yung mabagong mahawa na naman at dadami na naman dahil nga sa meron tayong rules na hindi sinunod (These are the new cases that will pop up because we didn’t follow certain rules.), Duterte said./Stacy Ang