The Department of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday said that at least 248 Filipinos are affected by the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck Turkey and was felt even up to Syria.
According to Ambassador Maria Elena Algabre, there were no Filipino casualties but there were a number of them affected.
“Ang mga Pilipino na 248 na nasa region na ‘yun ay apektado kasi po marami pong building ang nasalanta, walang electricity, malamig, umuulan,” she said.
“May mga Filipinos po na umalis sa kanilang mga building kasi hindi safe at gumuho, na nasa shelter. Yung iba po kinupkop ng mga kaibigan na nasa safer na lugar,” she also said.
Meanwhile, Algabre said that based on their tally, there had been at least 78 aftershocks — some of which are close to the strength of the main tremor, that was recorded.
Meanwhile, some 9,000 search and rescue personnel are working tirelessly to try and save the victims, even as buildings remain unstable and some of them continue to collapse.
The Turkey government meanwhile gave out 300,000 blankets and deployed mobile kitchens for the victims.
More than 3,700 have been reported as dead due to the massive quake that struck both Turkey and Syria.
Algabre said that the supply of water in some areas is a problem.
The Philippine government has already expressed readiness to help in the aftermath of the earthquake.
“Our thoughts and prayers go to the peoples and governments of Türkiye and Syria following the strong earthquake that has claimed many lives and caused massive destruction to their countries,” said President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.
“The Philippines is ready to help in whatever way it can in responding to this disaster.”
CurrentPH News Service