Two female politicians to contend for North Cotabato’s gubernatorial post

on

Reelectionist Governor Nancy Catamco of North Cotabato filed her certificate of candidacy (COC) on Friday, setting the stage for an all-female showdown for the top post of the province.

Catamco will be running under the PDP-Laban.

On October 6, North Cotabato Vice Governor Emmylou Taliño-Mendoza of the Nacionalista Party (NP) filed her COC before the Commission on Elections in Kidapawan City. Her running mate is Board Member Shirlyn Macasarte.

Catamco’s running mate, incumbent Provincial Administrator Efren Piñol, and other party candidates for Provincial Board accompanied her in filing her candidacy.

Catamco, who is seeking her second term as provincial executive, pledged to continue her brand of governance anchored on transparency and accountability.

“I will pursue what I’ve started for the people of Cotabato province that entails good governance, transparency, and accountability,” she said in a statement on the day of her COC filing.

Before heading towards the Comelec office, Catamco and her party briefly stopped for a tribal ritual, the “Pamaas”, for a safe journey, which was led by Obo-Manuvo leaders for the upcoming May 2022 elections.

She highlighted her initiatives, such as the ongoing completion of the Central Mindanao Airport in M’lang town of the province.

“These initiatives will truly benefit our people,” Catamco said.

Leading to their filing of their COCs, Catamco and Mendoza had been trading barbs over the issue of supplemental budget for the fight against the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

Catamco accused Mendoza of early “politicking” when the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (Provincial Board) where she is the presiding officer, rejected a request for a supplemental budget intended for health front-liners in the province.

“There was no valid reason except politics,” she said.

Mendoza, meanwhile, insisted the provincial legislators were only performing their duties by scrutinizing the proposed supplemental budget and ensuring every centavo is spent legally by the executive department.

“I had been in politics for so long. I know that we have to scrutinize everything for the sake of transparency and accountability,” she said.

Amid these, however, both Catamco and Mendoza fully supported the conduct of peaceful and credible elections in the province next year.


Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

MUST READ

Is Sara Gaining Ground?

Note: This is a column article of BenCyrus G. Ellorin at SOUTHERN PERSPECTIVE CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY/ May 19, 2026 --The March 2026 OCTA survey...

LGU Subic, Nagdeklara ng Water Emergency; Posibleng Takeover sa...

SUBIC, Zambales — Nagdeklara ng State of Water Emergency ang lokal na pamahalaan ng Subic dahil sa patuloy na problema sa suplay ng tubig...

PNP submits Senate shooting probe to DOJ; investigators reject...

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has formally submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ) the results of its investigation into the controversial gunfire incident...

Committee on Ways and Means (May 18, 2026) –...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFDU7U15nsAgenda: SBN 61 – Amending the National Internal Revenue Code (NIRC) (Exempting Electricity Sales from Value-Added Tax) (By: Sen. Marcoleta) SBN 266 - Price of...

Dialogue with China Is Essential: Trump-Xi Summit Proved It

Repeated remarks from within the Philippine defense and military establishments declaring that China cannot be trusted in talks apparently reflect a very deep frustration...

Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading