Poll firm seeks $1.6 billion from Fox News over defamation suit

on

Dominion Voting Systems filed a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News on Friday, arguing the cable news giant falsely claimed in an effort to boost faltering ratings that the voting company had rigged the 2020 election.

The lawsuit is part of a growing body of legal action filed by the voting company and other targets of misleading, false and bizarre claims spread by  President Donald Trump and his allies in the aftermath of Trump’s election loss to Joe Biden. Those claims helped spur on rioters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 in a violent siege that left five people dead, including a police officer. The siege led to Trump’s historic second impeachment.

Dominion argues that Fox News, which amplified inaccurate assertions that Dominion altered votes, “sold a false story of election fraud in order to serve its own commercial purposes, severely injuring Dominion in the process,” according to the lawsuit.

“The truth matters. Lies have consequences,” the lawsuit said. “… If this case does not rise to the level of defamation by a broadcaster, then nothing does.”

Even before Dominion’s lawsuit on Friday, Fox News had already filed four motions to dismiss other legal actions against its coverage.

“Fox News Media is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism, and we will vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit in court,” it said in a statement on Friday.

There was no widespread fraud in the 2020 election, a fact that a range of election officials across the country — and even Trump’s attorney general, William Barr — have confirmed. Republican governors in Arizona and Georgia, key battleground states crucial to Biden’s victory, also vouched for the integrity of the elections in their states. Nearly all the legal challenges from Trump and his allies were dismissed by judges, including two tossed by the Supreme Court, which has three Trump-nominated justices.

Still, some Fox News employees elevated false charges that Dominion had changed votes through algorithms in its voting machines that had been created in Venezuela to rig elections for the late dictator Hugo Chavez. On-air personalities brought on Trump allies Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani, who spread the claims, and then amplified those claims on Fox News’ massive social media platforms.


Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

MUST READ

Why the Senate May Keep Alan Peter Cayetano Right...

The whispers across Manila’s political corridors are growing louder: Will the Senate leadership change before the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte reaches...

Is Sara Gaining Ground?

Note: This is a column article of BenCyrus G. Ellorin at SOUTHERN PERSPECTIVE CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY/ May 19, 2026 --The March 2026 OCTA survey...

LGU Subic, Nagdeklara ng Water Emergency; Posibleng Takeover sa...

SUBIC, Zambales — Nagdeklara ng State of Water Emergency ang lokal na pamahalaan ng Subic dahil sa patuloy na problema sa suplay ng tubig...

PNP submits Senate shooting probe to DOJ; investigators reject...

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has formally submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ) the results of its investigation into the controversial gunfire incident...

Committee on Ways and Means (May 18, 2026) –...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFDU7U15nsAgenda: SBN 61 – Amending the National Internal Revenue Code (NIRC) (Exempting Electricity Sales from Value-Added Tax) (By: Sen. Marcoleta) SBN 266 - Price of...

Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading