The Department of Health (DOH) on Friday reported a total of 153,660 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Philippines with 6,216 more infections reported Friday, a few days before a stricter lockdown in epicenter Metro Manila and nearby provinces is set to lapse.
This is the 2nd highest number of additional COVID-19 cases reported in a single day, with the record-high at 6,958 on August 10.
Earlier this month, researchers from the University of the Philippines and the University of Santo Tomas estimated that the country’s COVID-19 cases may reach 150,000 by the end of August.
Another UP group, the UP COVID-19 Pandemic Response Team, recently estimated that cases would go up to as high as 209,000 by the end of the month.
There are now 79,813 active cases in the country.
Active cases refer to patients who are still infected with COVID-19 and are staying either in the hospital or under home quarantine.
The total number of recoveries is at 71,405, with 1,038 new recovered patients.
The total number of fatalities is at 2,442, with 16 new fatalities.
The Philippines has been logging record-high numbers in terms of new COVID-19 cases since late July, following the easing of quarantine measures and the gradual reopening of the economy.
There has been no apparent letup in the rise even while Metro Manila and surrounding provinces reverted to a stricter modified enhanced community quarantine on August 4, with the restriction to remain in effect until August 18.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire on Friday morning said in a virtual briefing that the “bulk of cases are in the productive age group of 20 to 59 years old.”
“Ito ang working group natin kasi sila na ang lumalabas, nagtatrabaho,” she explained.
“The drivers of the infection – ‘pag tinignan natin – ‘yung lumalabas ng bahay. ‘Pag umuwi sila sila ang magdadala ng infection sa kani-kanilang tahanan (The drivers of infection – when we look at the data – are those who go out of their homes. When they return, they are the ones who bring the infection to their homes.),” Vergeire said.
After Metro Manila and nearby provinces reverted to the relatively stricter modified enhanced community quarantine, the government said it would recalibrate its COVID-19 response with the help of the medical sector./Stacy Ang