23,385 boxes of personal protective equipment (PPEs) arrive in the PH

0
412

Navy

Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III said  on Friday Philippine Navy frontliners sailed to Xiamen, China to pick up a shipment of 23,385 boxes of Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) ordered by the Philippine government for its health frontliners.

“Commander Rogelio Lachica and the brave sailors of the BRP Bacolod City, Philippine Navy deserve praise and gratitude for undertaking this mission during difficult times. Those PPEs are essential to protecting our heroic health frontliners from COVID-19,” Duque said.

Duque also reiterated that occupational health and safety of health frontliners is a top priority of the Department of Health and the Duterte administration in the fight against COVID-19.

Last month, the Department of Health announced a partnership with the Department of Trade and Industry and the Confederation of Wearable Exporters of the Philippines (CONWEP) to locally produce an additional 300,000 PPE coveralls per month.

“We are committed to providing all Filipino doctors, nurses, and other healthcare heroes with adequate supplies of PPEs despite the global shortage brought about by the global pandemic,” Duque said.

Duque also commended the efforts of private individuals and charitable organizations, who he said have done “noble work in helping us deal with the realities of the global PPE shortage.”

“The generous number of PPEs created and delivered by good Samaritans to hospitals across the Philippines is a moving testament to the ​bayanihan​ spirit of our people,” he said.

The Health chief together with National Plan Against COVID-19 Chief Implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez, Jr. and Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin, Jr., formally received a total of seven  metric tons of personal protective equipment (PPEs) and other medical supplies from the Government of the United Arab Emirates.

Ambassador Hamad Al-Zaabi and Senior Political Officer Dr. Zakaira Hassan from the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Manila handed over the donation of four metric tons of PPEs such as surgical gloves, face shields and shoe cover, and three  metric tons of assorted medical supplies in support to the Philippine Government’s effort in curbing the spread of COVID-19 in the country.

“We are very thankful for the support we received from the Government of the United Arab Emirate— an assurance that we are not alone in this fight,” said the Health Chief emphasizing that through collaborative global efforts, we have greater odds of overcoming COVID-19.

Meanwhile the DOH- CALABARZON (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon), together with the local government units of Cavite, have established isolation facilities in the province to be used as quarantine facilities for persons under investigation (PUI) and confirmed patients with mild symptoms of the COVID 19 virus.

“These isolation facilities were identified by the municipal and city government units of the province to be designated as quarantine facilities for COVID-19 patients. They were temporarily converted and designated for isolation and quarantine services,” Regional Director Eduardo Janairo stated.

Among the designated community isolation units already accredited by DOH includes the Kawit ISO Facility and the Cavite City Quarantine Facility which both operated last April 29, 2020, the Noveleta MeDCare Center CoVID-19 Isolation Facility in Barangay San Jose 1 in Noveleta opened on April 30, 2020 and the Rosario ISO Facility located in Poblacion, Rosario, Cavite which began operation on May 4, 2020.

“The regional office will ensure that patients accommodated in these facilities will be well-taken cared of until they are fully recovered and tested negative of the novel corona virus,” he assured.

Community Isolation Units (CIUs) are DOH certified publicly or privately owned none hospital facilities set-up in coordination with or by the national government or local government units (LGUs) to serve as quarantine facilities for probable and confirmed cases of COVID-19 based on DOH guidelines.

As of May 7, 2020, a total of 1,251 COVID-19 cases were reported in the region, with 156 patients recovered and 84 recorded deaths.

The province of Rizal has the highest number of COVID-19 with 394 followed by Laguna with 360, Cavite with 288, Batangas – 109 and Quezon – 64./Stacy Ang

 

 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.