Taiwan to retaliate against Duterte travel ban by cancelling visa free entry to Filipinos

on

 

For including Taiwan and even describing it as a “special administrative region” of China, the Taipei government today communicated to the Philippine government its displeasure over the Duterte administration’s decision to ban flights to and fro the Chinese republican island due to the on-going threat posed by  the Novel Corona virus.

In an interview by ABS-CBN 2 DZMM Teleradyo, Angelito Banayo, chairman of the Manila Economic and Cultural Office or MECO based in Taipei said the Taiwanese government may do a quid pro quo by cancelling the visa free entry of Filipinos as one of its “reactive measures” in response or retaliation of the travel ban.

Banayo said the Taiwanese government thinks the decision was laced with politics rather than a health risk concern. Last Monday, the Philippine government thru the Department of Health (DoH) included Taiwan as one of those to be “banned” after the World Health Organization (WHO) considered Taiwan as “part of China.”

Taiwan is an island state which had opposed Chinese Communist rule after the Reds overran the Kuomintang in 1949. Migrating Chinese had since resided in the island which is several kilometers away from the coasts of the Chinese mainland. Taiwan has since maintained a distinct governmental structure separate from the Socialist system in China.

Taiwanese president Tsai Ing-Wen has already directed her cabinet to come up with a list of possible retaliatory measures against the Duterte administration due to the travel ban. In 2017, Taiwan lifted its visa restrictions and allowed a 14-day visa free privilege for Filipinos as an expression of the amity between the two countries. The visa-free privileges had been extended to July of this year.

Officially though, the Philippines observes a “one China policy” under the 1975 Joint Communique between former Chinese president and Party chairman Mao Tsetung and former Philippine president Ferdinand Marcos.


Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Avatar photo
Filobserverhttp://filobserver.wordpress.com
FilObserver aims to be the top most in mind when it comes to Philippine and Asian news, culture, information and opinions.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

MUST READ

Why the Senate May Keep Alan Peter Cayetano Right...

The whispers across Manila’s political corridors are growing louder: Will the Senate leadership change before the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte reaches...

Is Sara Gaining Ground?

Note: This is a column article of BenCyrus G. Ellorin at SOUTHERN PERSPECTIVE CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY/ May 19, 2026 --The March 2026 OCTA survey...

LGU Subic, Nagdeklara ng Water Emergency; Posibleng Takeover sa...

SUBIC, Zambales — Nagdeklara ng State of Water Emergency ang lokal na pamahalaan ng Subic dahil sa patuloy na problema sa suplay ng tubig...

PNP submits Senate shooting probe to DOJ; investigators reject...

The Philippine National Police (PNP) has formally submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ) the results of its investigation into the controversial gunfire incident...

Committee on Ways and Means (May 18, 2026) –...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsFDU7U15nsAgenda: SBN 61 – Amending the National Internal Revenue Code (NIRC) (Exempting Electricity Sales from Value-Added Tax) (By: Sen. Marcoleta) SBN 266 - Price of...

Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading

Discover more from Current PH

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading