The same coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) vaccine brands used as the primary doses administered to a recipient will be used as booster shots, National Task Force (NTF) against Covid-19 chief implementer, Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. said Thursday.
In an interview, Galvez said the interim National Immunization Technical Advisory Group (NITAG) and the All Expert Group panel have recommended the “homologous” vaccination scheme in the administration of booster shots.
“Whatever brand we initially administered in two primaries will be given as third dose or what we called boosters,” Galvez, also the country’s vaccine czar, said in Filipino.
Managements of different hospitals have already requested booster shots for their healthcare workers, he added.
The majority of the vaccines administered are Sinovac and AstraZeneca doses.
“They can be used for boosters and also some of them will be used as a second dose,” he said.
Galvez previously said the government is mulling to start the administration of Covid-19 vaccine booster shots to priority sectors by November.
The Department of Health (DOH) earlier approved the recommendation of the Health Technology Assessment Council (HTAC) to give booster shots to fully vaccinated healthcare workers.
Senior citizens and immunocompromised adults and those who were vaccinated anytime from March to May will also be prioritized, Galvez said.
The DOH has already started processing the emergency use authorization amendments of different vaccine brands that will be used as booster shots.