Police general hurt in chopper crash transferred to Muntinlupa hospital, still in critical condition, unconscious



Philippine National Police (PNP) Major General Jose Maria Ramos, who was critically injured in a helicopter crash in Laguna on Thursday, was transferred to a Muntinlupa City hospital on Saturday after his condition became “slightly stable.”

Dr. Reolito Perez, hospital administrator of the Unihealth-Southwoods Hospital in Laguna, has confirmed that Ramos has already been taken out of their hospital and transferred to the Asian Hospital and Medical Center in Muntinlupa City.

Perez said Ramos was transferred after he was in a “slightly stable” condition.

However, he clarified that the general “remains critical and unconscious.”

PNP acting spokesman Police Major General Benigno Durana earlier said that as of Saturday morning, the condition of Ramos has improved.

PNP chief Police General Archie Francisco Gamboa, who was also injured in the helicopter crash, was discharged on Friday.

Meanwhile, PNP Director for Intelligence Police Major General Mariel Magaway, the other general who went into a critical condition, also had a positive development during the weekend.

Magaway partially woke up but had to be sedated after he was restless probably due to trauma.

PNP spokesman Police Brigadier General Bernard Banac, meanwhile, has been discharged from St. Luke’s Medical Center in Taguig City at 4:16 p.m.

Helicopter pilot Police Lieutenant Colonel Ruel  Zalatar, co-pilot Police Lieutenant Colonel Rico Macawili and crew Master Sergeant Louie Estona, meanwhile, are in a stable condition.

Police Captain Kevin Gayramara, Gamboa’s aide-de-camp, was already discharged on Friday.

After he was discharged, Gamboa was in “high spirits” when he visited Ramos and Magaway.

PNP Deputy Chief for Operations Police Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar said the Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) will document the pieces of evidence at the crash site this weekend to construct a diagram.

Parts of the damaged helicopter could be removed from the area after the diagram’s completion.

These will then be brought in a secured facility for a possible test and examination.

The helicopter ‘s other parts could also be sent to the manufacturer for analysis to aid the investigation.

Eleazar said that the SITG could already release its findings should the gathered evidence be “overwhelming,” including the testimonies of witnesses and survivors.

Eleazar said that the SITG already spoke to the pilot and the co-pilot of the helicopter, but have not yet asked for their formal statements. /Stacy Ang

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.