The Department of Health (DOH) reported on Monday 579 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the country’s total to 22,474.
“As of 4PM today, June 08, 2020, the Department of Health reports the total number of COVID-19 cases at 22,474,” said DOH COVID-19 CASE BULLETIN #086.
“In addition to the 331 fresh cases, 248 late cases were also reported today. Today’s fresh cases are based on the daily accomplishment reports submitted by only 27 out of 43 current operational labs,” said the DOH.
The DOH also reported 8 new fatalities, bringing the death toll to 1,011.
DOH likewise announces 107 recoveries. This brings the total number of recoveries to 4,637.
Meanwhile, of the late cases, 106 are from NCR, 5 are from Region 7 and 106 are from other regions. A total of 31 are Filipino repatriates.
While NCR is still considered the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak in the Philippines, Cebu is considered a hotspot after a spike in cases were observed last month. However, the DOH has yet to explain the new spike of cases in Region 7.
The DOH started using the new classification of additional cases during the last week of May after new cases increased supposedly because of more aggressive validation efforts. It has caused confusion among the public, but the DOH explained that it is needed to better see the actual situation of the COVID-19 outbreak in the country.
The reclassification also coincided with the shift to general community quarantine in Metro Manila and other areas as government eased business and transportation restrictions.
Worldwide, more than 7 million people have been infected with COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, according to the Johns Hopkins University coronavirus dashboard. Of those, 3.1 million have already recovered and 400,000 have died./Stacy Ang