The Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday reported an additional 2,019 positive cases of COVID-19 bringing the total cases to 78,412 in the Philippines.
“As of 4PM today, July 25, 2020, the Department of Health reports the total number of COVID-19 cases at 78,412,” according to DOH COVID-19 Case Bulletin #133.
“A total of 2,019 confirmed cases were reported based on the total tests done by 78 out of 90 current operational labs,” said the DOH.
This marks the eleventh consecutive day where over 1,300 new infections were reported and the fourth time in the past week where new cases breached 2,000.
According to the DOH, the five provinces or cities with the highest number of new cases are the National Capital Region with 1,115, Cebu with 479, Cavite with 90, Rizal with 52, Davao del Sur with 41.
There are also 50,763 active cases undergoing treatment or quarantine. Of this, 89.89 percent are mild, 9.18 percent are asymptomatic, 0.50 percent are severe, and 0.43 percent are in critical condition.
The DOH also reported an additional of 20 fatalities, bringing the death toll to 1,897.
Of the 20 deaths, 13 (65%) in July, 4 (20%) in June, 2 (10%) in April and 1 (5%) in March. Deaths were from Region 7 (10 or 50%), NCR (6 or 30%),Region 4A (2 or 10%),Region 3 (1 or 5%) and Region 9 (1 or 5%).
DOH likewise announced 1,278 recoveries. This brings the total number of recoveries to 25,752.
A total of 51 duplicates were removed from the total case count. Of these, 25 recovered cases and two deaths have been removed after final validation.
Moreover, the DOH said they have updated the health status of three cases previously reported as recovered but after final validation were found to be deaths.
Experts from the University of the Philippines projected that the number of COVID-19 cases in the country may reach more than 85,000 by the end of July.
Should this happen, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that Metro Manila may revert to a modified enhanced community quarantine./Stacy Ang